The Action Group is strategically focused on working with employers and stakeholders, within the state and nationally, to improve mental health care and outcomes.
WHY MENTAL HEALTH?
Today, Minnesotans with mental health conditions face significant challenges when seeking care. Their options for help may be limited due to a shortage of providers, the lack of accessible facilities, and limits on health care coverage. Ultimately, there are gaps in care, and too often “the system” fails patients. Sadly, the statewide rate of depression remission at six months stands at 8%, and it has not improved in three years.
This takes its toll on the workplace. A 2019 survey conducted by the Minnesota Health Action Group indicated that 99% of responding employers agreed, “The mental health of our employees is directly linked to the overall performance of our organization.” Employers report that low emotional well-being and stress are impacting the workforce through suboptimal performance at work/presenteeism (70%), more absenteeism (68%), and conflict at work (50%).
Looking more broadly, mental health has been identified as the greatest unaddressed problem in health care today. It is the leading cause of disability worldwide, with $193B in lost earnings every year. One in four adults experiences a mental illness in a given year, and regrettably, 70% never receive treatment.
OUR FOCUS AND GOAL
Our focus is on improving integrated mental health care for depression and anxiety—as a stand-alone condition or as a co-morbidity. Our goal is to improve the statewide rate of depression remission at six months from 8% to 50%.
TOOLS FOR EMPLOYERS
With the right information, tools and support, employers are uniquely positioned to advance mental health care and outcomes for employees and their families.
- Working Well in Minnesota: Insights and Actions to Help Minnesota Employers Advance Mental Health in the Workplace
- eValue8 Deep Dive™: Achieving Value in Mental Health Support in Minnesota (Executive Summary)
- eValue8 Mental Health Deep Dive™: Achieving Value in Mental Health Support in Minnesota (Webinar slides)
- Achieving Value in Mental Health Support: a Deep Dive Powered by eValue8 (National version)
- Model Data Request Form | MDRF Action Plan (PDF) | (DOC)
- Model Hold Harmless Language
- Podcast: Depression 9-5
- Collaborative Care Model Infographic (American Psychiatric Association Foundation Center for Workplace Health)
- Mental Health Calculators: A tool for employers to calculate the impact of mental health in the workplace (American Psychiatric Association Foundation Center for Workplace Health)
- Case Studies from the American Psychiatric Association Foundation Center for Workplace Mental Health
- PsyberGuide: A guide for employers evaluating mental health digital solutions
WORKING TOGETHER TO DRIVE CHANGE
In 2019, The Action Group convened a Mental Health Guiding Coalition to provide multi-stakeholder input, insight and guidance to employers to ensure their success in providing high-value, integrated mental health care to employees while leveraging their purchasing power in the market to drive positive change on behalf of all Minnesotans. The Guiding Coalition builds on the work of the 2017-2018 Mental Health Learning Network, a dedicated group of leading public and private employers in the state. The Guiding Coalition meets quarterly, with interim Advocacy Team meetings to provide a deliberate, collaborative, meaningful, sustained focus on improving mental health care and outcomes.
- Invitation to participate in 2020 Mental Health Guiding Coalition
- 2019 Mental Health Guiding Coalition Members
- Case study posters from Mental Health Community Dialogue
- MN Employers Driving Improved Mental Health Care and Outcomes Overview (PPT presentation)
- Presentations from Mental Health Community Dialogue: Accelerating Performance Improvement in Integrated Mental Health Care
RELEVANT RESEARCH AND REPORTS
Our focus on mental health care and outcomes is informed by relevant research.
- Infographic: Mental Health Parity (American Psychiatric Association Foundation)
- Milliman Research Reports:
- Mental Health: A Workforce Crisis (Comprehensive 2019 report commissioned by the American Heart Association CEO Roundtable and conducted by the American Heart Association’s Center for Workplace Health Research and Evaluation)
- MN Community Measurement 2018 Depression Care in MN Report
- FAIR Health Spotlight on National Behavioral Health Trends
- Minnesota Governor’s 2016 Task Force on Mental Health Full Report
ARTICLES AND MEDIA COVERAGE OF MENTAL HEALTH
Mental health issues are frequently in the news. The articles and coverage below relate to The Action Group and its partners and are especially relevant for employers.
- News Release: Minnesota Health Action Group Selected for Employer-led Effort to Improve Mental Health and Substance Use care in Minnesota and Nationally
- News Release: Minnesota Health Action Group announces findings from first-ever eValue8 Mental Health Deep Dive™ survey in Minnesota
- The Mental Health Parity Challenge (From Workforce)
- Minnesota Health Action Group Receives PCORI Award to Impact Mental Health Care Quality, Access Statewide (news release)
- Want to Reduce Suicides? Follow the Data — To Medical Offices, Motels and Even Animal Shelters (California Healthline)
- Collaborative Care at the University of Pennsylvania: “Penn Integrated Care”
- $200K award will help Minnesota employers expand mental health programs (Star Tribune)
- Help Those with Mental Health Issues by Passing Parity Bill (Star Tribune)
- Enforce Parity for Mental Health Care (Star Tribune)
- In Scathing Ruling, Judge Rips Insurer for Putting ‘Bottom Line’ Over Patients’ Lives (CNN)
- Mental Health Data “Horrifying:” Minnesota Employers’ Group Seeks to Improve Statistics for Workers, and the Bottom Line (Duluth News Tribune)
- Mental Health Action by Employers a Positive Development (The Free Press)
- Business Community Lends its Muscle to Improve Mental Health Care in Minnesota (Star Tribune)
- Minnesota Employers Urged to Boost Mental Health Resources (Star Tribune)
- Wrongfully Denied: Minnesotans Fighting Mental Illness Denied Covered by Insurance Providers (KSTP News)
- UnitedHealth Clients Needed More Mental Health Care; United Said No (MPR News)
ACTION GROUP BLOGS ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH
Our blogs provide additional context on mental health issues, informed by insights from expert advisors and employers.
- Inquiring Minds Might Want to Know – Blog by Deb Krause, Action Group Vice President
- What Should I Do Now? – Blog by Deb Krause, Action Group Vice President
- Mental Health Parity – It’s Time to Fulfill the Promise! Blog by Deb Krause, Minnesota Health Action Group Vice President
- Let’s Make it Happen – Blog by Deb Krause, Action Group Vice President
- Can We Talk? – Blog by Deb Krause, Action Group Vice President (Part 1 of 3)
- Can We Talk? – Blog by Deb Krause, Action Group Vice President (Part 2 of 3)
- Can We Talk? – Blog by Deb Krause, Action Group Vice President (Part 3 of 3)